A Sport England Funded Project to help young people get active and out on the water
from April -July 2021
Croydon Volunatry Action and other agencies in Croydon are inviting families and groups working with young people to contact the Training Centre to arrange Taster Sailing Sessions via email – quote Get afloat Croydon : email@example.com
Questions and Answers
- What does it cost ? Its free to young persons referred to the Training Centre by Croydon Voluntary Action and other Community Groups working with young persons to tackle inequality
- How old do you have to be to sail ? The activity is for ages 8 to 16years
- How long is a taster session? A session lasts 3 hours either morning or afternoon
- When are the taster sessions? When Government the permits organised sport outdoor activities to resume again , which we hope will from April. We are planning session for Saturdays and during the Easter school holidays ; suggested dates in April are Saturday 3rd ; Tuesday 6th; Thursday 8th, Sat 10th , Tuesday 13th and Sat 17th . Then every Saturday from then on up until July . Mornings 10:00 am – 1:00pm Afternoons 2:00 – 5:00pm
- How do I book ? Email : firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the agency that referred you to the project, how many in the group and ages and we will reply asking for some details and a contact- either email address or phone number.
- I am not used to going on the water, will I fall in ? We practise using the controls on land first, then start out on the water near the shore with instructors closeby in patrol boats and teach you how to sail in a controlled and safe way. Some beginners fall in if the boat is caught by strong winds or the boat is unbalanced, wearing a buoyancy aid keeps you afloat, special clothing helps to reduce shock of the water being cold then the instructors collect you out of the water from the patrol boat.
- What if its bad weather ? Instructors plan the activity on the water according to weather conditions; if its too windy we change the activity such as kayaking , practice being towed by a powerboat and onshore training.
- What if I can’t swim? We provide buoyancy aids to wear which are designed to keep your upper body afloat so you can breathe freely. If you fall in the water a patrol boat will help you back into a boat and take you a shore if needed.
- What do I need to wear ? loose clothing, joggers, long sleeve t-shirts, hat and gloves for cold days; bring a spare set of clothes in case you get wet and need to change to warm up. We provide waterproof over trousers and jacket and/ or wetsuits depending on the weather and wind conditions plus wetsuit boots and helmets all aimed to keep you warm, safe and dry
- Is it Covid 19 safe? The activity is outdoors in open air and we only book small groups of 6 working with instructors. Each young person has one boat each, no sharing and equipment and clothing is cleaned after each session . Toilets and changing rooms are open and numbers entering are limited to maintain social distancing .