Some of you may have spotted the recent appearance of blue-green algae on the lake, which the Environment Agency has advised us has the potential to cause harm over the coming weeks, but the lake is still open and sailing will continue.
The RYA has issued guidance, which we recommend all participants should read. A few important points are:
- Duty officers (DOs and ADOs) should assess lake conditions before commencing any sailing activity and warn participants of worst affected areas, setting a course that avoids these areas if appropriate
- Participants should be made aware of the facts on blue-green algae; the council has posted notices around the boat park to facilitate this
- Capsized participants should not remain unduly long in the water and should (as always) avoid ingesting lake water
- Participants should wash hands thoroughly before eating and remove scum or algae from clothes and equipment before storing it or entering the changing room
- Non-participants should not be allowed to walk or play at the water’s edge